Any criminal charge is serious, particularly when involving the alleged possession and/or distribution of controlled substances in Troy. Such accusations may carry with them a social stigma, which may impact your public and professional reputation.
Yet first things first: what sort of criminal charges might result from a drug arrest? The answer to that question often depends on the type of substance at the heart of your case.
Detailing Michigan’s drug schedules
The state of Michigan has established drug schedules meant to place different types of controlled substances into categories. The severity of charges you may face increases depending on where the controlled allegedly found in your possession falls in the spectrum of the state’s drug schedules.
Michigan’s different drug schedules seek to classify controlled substances based on their accepted clinical applications and their potential for abuse and addiction. Per the Michigan Legislature, the specific breakdown is as follows:
- Schedule I: Substances with a high potential for abuse whose use cannot be safely monitored by a physician and (because of that) currently have no recognized medical uses in the U.S.
- Schedule II: Substances with a high potential for abuse and for the development of a dependency that do have current clinical applications
- Schedule III: Substances with a moderate potential for abuse and the development of a dependency that likewise have current clinical applications
- Schedule IV: Substances with a limited potential for abuse and a low risk of the development of a dependency that also have current clinical applications
- Schedule V: Substances with current clinical applications with the lowest potential for abuse whose requires monitoring by a physician
Answering to drug charges
Despite the wide potential spectrum of drug charges you may face, all allegations of drug possession and/or distribution deserve in-depth scrutiny to determine any potential merit. An experienced criminal defense lawyer can defend you against these charges. Contact us to learn more.