Law Office of John Freeman
Call for a free consultation 866-720-3708

Medical Marijuana and Concealed Carry Permits: Do They Go Together?

The legalization of medical marijuana has stirred up some more controversy-can a person carry a medical marijuana license and have a concealed pistol permit? This question has been presented in states that legalize the use of medical marijuana and permit concealed pistol permit of a handgun.

In Oregon, the state court held that a medical marijuana user can also carry a concealed handgun. However, this holding is pending appeal by the Sheriff's department to the Oregon Supreme Court. The Sheriff's department says that a medical marijuana user is in violation of federal law when they carry a concealed handgun. They argue that the 1968 U.S. Gun Control Act prohibits selling firearms to drug addicts, including medical marijuana cardholders, so they cannot give a permit to carry a gun to someone who is prohibited from buying or owning a gun.

Cynthia Willis, a plaintiff in the 3-plaintiff lawsuit says, "Under the medical marijuana law, I am supposed to be treated as any other citizen in this state." The Sherriff's department took Willis's concealed carry permit away after she received her medical marijuana card.

However, critics argue that mixing drugs and firearms can lead to safety problems and increased crime. Further, the Sherriff's department argues that in many cases the recent legalization of medical marijuana is being used to cover up criminal activity. They recognize that the abuse and misuse of the laws is not in every case, but it is an often occurrence.

Until the Oregon Supreme Court rules on this issue, the constitutional clash will continue. It is likely that Oregon's ruling may eventually end up in the Supreme Court. Until then, those with with both licenses-medical marijuana and concealed carry-stand in the middle of this controversial constitutional clash.

1 Comment

So, what is the answer to the question??? What are the laws in Detroit???

Also, my handgun was taken during a police arrest and no papers were given to me on the gun when I was released. All charges were dropped against me and what I asked for my gun to be returned they have no paperwork of it at all. What should I do, my fear is that it may show up later in some kind of crime and I have no proof that I now logner have the gun in my possion.

Thank you

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

For an initial consultation at the Law Office of John Freeman, call 866-720-3708 toll free or send us an email. In an emergency, call 248-918-0790 at any time of day or night.

From offices in Troy, Michigan, we represent clients in all federal and state courts in the greater Detroit area, throughout all of Michigan, and the United States.

Contact us today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of John Freeman

3150 Livernois Road
Suite 270
Troy, MI 48083

Toll Free: 866-720-3708
Phone: 248-918-0790
Phone: 313-330-2653
Fax: 248-250-5857
Troy Law Office Map

866-720-3708 - Toll Free
313-330-2653 - Emergency 24/7
248-250-5857 - Fax